Waste less wine and serve up a more memorable holiday side dish with this Cranberry Wine Sauce recipe.
Are You Here for the Recipe? Let’s Talk Cranberry Wine Sauce
Don’t pitch that leftover glass of wine that you didn’t get to. Instead, combine it with maple syrup and warming Chinese Five Spice to create a Cranberry Wine Sauce that does more than sit on the side of a holiday feast.
In addition to the holiday table, I like having this sauce on hand during the winter months to add to baking, brunch spreads, and the like. Try these applications:
- Add this cranberry wine sauce as a swirl in Brown Butter Ice Cream.
- Bake this sauce into a vegan hand pie.
- Serve this as a tart spread for a wintry cheese board.
You Might Also Like: Creamy Chocolate-Amaranth Cupcakes with Bourbon Whipped Crème Fraîche
I’m all about decadent layer cakes, but when it comes to ease and show, creating a cupcake board can be just as impressive and better yet, interactive. Dessert will come alive as friends and family choose their own adventures.
Start with these flourless Creamy Chocolate-Amaranth Cupcakes from my book, The Gluten-Free Grains Cookbook. They’re a bit spongey, akin to a flourless chocolate cake. Then, arrange the cupcakes on a board with a variety of toppings. Add the cranberry wine sauce for an extra tart, spiced, seasonal touch.
Are You Here for the Dogs? Me Too!
Here’s a snapshot of a cozy moment that brings me lots of joy – snuggling on the couch with both Maple and Julep, sipping coffee, reading, and listening to mellow music.
Cranberry Wine Sauce
- 3 cups (a 12-ounce package) fresh cranberries
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 Tbs fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon Chinese Five Spice
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a medium pot over medium heat.
- Simmer gently until most of the cranberries have popped and the sauce is thick and syrupy, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve warm, or set aside to chill.