A few foraged greens, a few candles, and you have natural holiday decorations to make your season merry and bright. Come take a peek!
Simplify the Decor, Don’t Simplify the Season
I’m a loyal subscriber to Laura Vanderkam’s newsletter. Over the years, her books and her work have helped me to shift my priorities and to say yes to more meaningful uses of my time. Accordingly, her recent message for the holidays really struck a chord.
From Laura Vanderkam:
“Every December, magazines and blogs lure reads with this headline: Simplify the Season! The idea is that we’re all so over-scheduled with holiday commitments that we need permission to just rest. I’ve lost track of how many times I’ve read the tip that it’s OK to cancel plans and sit on the couch and watch TV instead.
To which I say… bah humbug. Life already offers plenty of opportunities to sit on the couch, this year especially. The whole idea behind feeling “festive” is doing things you don’t normally do. There are ways to celebrate safely, and doing so can make time feel more rich — like a full stocking, rather than something forgettable, like sands slipping through an hourglass.”
Choosing Imperfection & Choosing What Matters
Following Laura Vanderkam’s advice, I have been prioritizing activities that will leave me with richer memories:
- Long walks with the dogs and a warm drink in hand.
- Filling my vintage Boy Scout knapsack with fresh greenery to fill my dining room with natural holiday decorations.
- Flickering beeswax candles that add warmth and coziness to my home.
- Sipping this Peppermint Hot Chocolate (it’s vegan!) while listening to Vince Guaraldi.
- Wrapping chocolates into little parcels for a twist on an Advent Calendar. The calendar may have started late, but it’s better than never starting at all – a constant lesson for my perfectionism.
- A pastry-centric brunch with friends.
- Holiday decorating with friends & creating new traditions together.
How are you leaning into this time of year?
Welcome to My Dining Room, The Holiday Edition:
Of course, if you want to see more of my eclectic apartment, you can always take the full tour.
Julep’s Corner (and Honey too)
Don’t forget to include some dog biscuits in your Advent gifts this year.
You Might Like:
Perhaps you’re feeling festive too? Perhaps this is the season you lean into baking? There’s nothing like a warm oven this time of year, so you might like this Cranberry Cheesecake with Wine-Poached Pears from my book, The Gluten-Free Grains Cookbook. The cheesecake will feel like a delicious addition to your natural holiday decorations – it’s centerpiece worthy!